Monday, March 1, 2010

My Digital Story: The Seven Steps to Survival

This story introduces the Seven Steps to Survival. Kimmy becomes stranded on an island in Southeast Alaska and must use the steps to stay alive. This project is designed to give students general guidelines for survival. There would need to be follow up discussions and lessons explaining the concepts described in the story for students to fully benefit. I really enjoyed making this story and I think it will keep my students engaged. There is so much more to teach on this subject, however I feel I got a lot of information covered in 4 minute and this story serves as a good introduction.


Using digital stories is a good way to save time in the classroom and incorporate different learning styles into a lesson. Part of living in Alaska is enjoying the outdoors, it is important for young people to learn skills to protect and prepare them for survival situations. It is important to give students opportunities to learn and practice skills before they are faced with a life threatening problem. I have not had my students create digital stories, but I think it would be a valuable experience. I learned a lot and had fun doing this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment